Rapid Palatal Expander InstructionsBACK
Congratulations! This appliance is designed to widen your upper jaw and make room to straighten your teeth.
Please be aware of a few important points:
- You will feel some pressure as the jaw expands and possibly a tingling sensation at the bridge of your nose.
- Expect to see a space open between your 2 front teeth. This is a good sign! The space will close once the expander is no longer activated.
- It may be difficult to speak normally at first. Your normal speech will return within a few days.
- The first few days you will learn how to swallow and remove food that lodges around the expander. Plan on using water to swish around the appliance; it helps you remove any excess food.
- Be sure to thoroughly brush your appliance at least 3 times a day.
- Remember to avoid sticky and chewy foods, which can loosen your appliance.
- Make sure you only turn your appliance once a day, complete the number of turns scheduled, and stop turning the key once turns are complete.
- STOP TURNS IF THE APPLIANCE BECOMES LOOSE.
Contact Braces Omaha to find out more about the services we provide and how to begin your journey to a healthier, more confident smile.